Tooned Out

Suburban mommy talks about kicking her online gaming habit.

Name:
Location: Redmond, Washington, United States

Just another face in line at the grocery store...

Monday, May 15, 2006

Update

Wow, it's been ages!

I think I mentioned last time that I had bought my daughter an account and had even started a new toon. Well, we still have the account and I still have a toon - a different one now because my daughter deleted the first one. I'm getting back into the game (albeit in a more realistic way) but I have an excuse...

I have a friend (who I actually met in Toontown), in fact, the same one who came to visit me in October. Shortly after she returned home, she was diagnosed with cancer and had major surgery. She is still battling this horrible disease, which has weakened her body but not her spirit. On her good days, she likes to play Toontown. While she has a ton of friends on her big toons, I made a toon so we could quietly play together on one of the toons she doesn't use much. When she's not feeling up to playing, I play my toon for an hour or so to build it up because even her little toon is much stronger than mine!

So that's my excuse, a good one maybe, but still an excuse. I do find that Toontown is different for me now, luckily. When I first started playing again, I did go a little ways down the old path of obsession/addiction, but I caught myself in time. I worked hard at keeping it in perspective, and I managed it. I still really like to play, but I'm not obsessed. I don't think about the game much when I'm not playing, and if I miss a day or so, I'm not cranky and chomping at the bit to get back to it. It really is just a game for me now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience with my game.

I quit cold turkey around the first of this year. The friend who got me into the game to begin with, who quit just a couple weeks after I started, called me up to tell me he started playing again. He had no idea about the level of my addiction and didn't know that I had stone cold quit.

He sounded like he was having so much fun and needed someone to play with. So, I reinstalled (no I didn't break the CDs lol). Just like you said, I find that it is different now. I don't play if he's not playing, and I don't think about it when I am away from it. It is something I do just to spend time with an old rl friend who would probably fade into the background otherwise. I wonder how many daliances back into crack cocaine began this way? Oh well, like you said it does feel different now.

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home