Tooned Out

Suburban mommy talks about kicking her online gaming habit.

Name:
Location: Redmond, Washington, United States

Just another face in line at the grocery store...

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Who Am I?

Perhaps it's a little late in the game, but it's just occurred to me that I haven't mentioned much about me beyond the bare facts of my game addiction, and the problems I've been having with my oldest son. Here are a few other tidbits about my life that may provide a bit of perspective to my story.

I am a married 39 year old mother of a blended family of 5 children. I've been a stay at home mom for over 10 years, except for a year long stint working part time in retail. My husband has a successful career working for a large corporation. In my totally unbiased opinion, he is brilliant. He is also honest and principled, which, surprisingly, have not kept him from getting ahead and doing very well. Nice guys don't always finish last.

We live a typical middle class suburban lifestyle. Our kids play sports, go to an excellent public school, and have friends in the neighborhood. The neighborhood itself is beautiful, well established, safe, and quiet. It's all very nice. And bland. And, well, stifling. As I suspect is the case with many others, we live here for the benefit of our kids, so they can be safe, get a great education, and have peers who, like them, will go on to successful, productive lives. At least, that is the hope.

I am keenly aware of how lucky I am. I'm aware there are people, some right here in the midst of my affluent community, who aren't even able to adequately feed their families. I don't feel a sense of entitlement to this privileged life that I lead. We got here with much hard work and sacrifice, but could easily have ended up somewhere very different if not for a bit of luck at the right times.

So there you have it. Typical suburban lifestyle, typical suburban home, typical suburban mom, and a game addict to boot. Go figure.

4 Comments:

Blogger J said...

Hi Portia,

Looks like you're doing great - keep on musing :)

Cheers,
Jane

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I recently quit WoW and I am felling really depressed. I wanted to know if you have a mail where we can share experiences.

Thanks.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Portia said...

My email address is portia9@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mail sent!

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home